Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cabbage filled bra, a month without Patxi, and the taste of spit up

Yup, Patxi will be gone for a whole month and I'm somewhat daunted by the task of caring for Valin alone for that long. Well, mostly being able to shower it what worries me. I think I'll be fine but I really do miss him and really realize how much he helps out.

The thing about the cabbage...well, as you know I stopped pumping. With Patxi being gone, I would really struggle with pumping and attending to Valin's needs plus getting Mastitis was really the last straw. Well, Sunday my patience crumpbled and I was determined that the sooner I stopped pumping the sooner I would be dry. I was slowly takeing out pumping sessions but it wasn't until Sunday that I finally ended it. So I was in tons of pain by Monday morning and my WIC breastfeeding counselor called and said that placing cabbage leaves into my bra will help with the engorement. I didn't want to believe her but I was hurting so much so I tried it. At first it felt wonderful because the leaves were cold. But then that wore off after 20 mintues. But by Monday night, my pain was greatly redued, so smuch so that I could sleep on my side that night. I continued to fill my bra with cabbage and by Tuesday night I only felt pain if I got a straight shot, but the best was the fact that I could hold Valin. I'm still engored but it doen't hurt very much now. I've only stopped because they started to make me itch. But it was amazing and weird all at the same time. It's kind of crazy but I recommend it.

And lastly the taste of spit up. Well, I of course was planning with Valin, throwing him up in the air. Well, I'm sure you've guessed it, but he spit up on me when my mouth was open. Needless to say it was disgusting. I still feel a little queasy whenever smell his formula.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Dude, that's gross Jess. I unfortunately have also tasted spit up because of the same activity.

And I'm with you on the engorgement/boobs hurting thing. I hurt BAD for 4 days when my milk came in, then I just had GINORMOUS chesteses for about a week after. I didn't dare pump because I didn't want to encourage production. UGH. I'm sore just remembering it!

Miss you!

Kylee said...

I have heard of the cabbage leaves before, glad that they provided you some relief. I am so sorry that you have had to deal with all of that.
Greg has never spit up in my mouth, I can only imagine how gross that was. Sick.
I am sorry that Patxi has to be gone for a month. That is a bummer. I am confident that you will do a great job while he is gone. If you ever want to talk about being on your own let me know.