Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Breastfeeding Update

Things are going alright. I just went to the Support group at the hospital and he took only one ounce. He had been grasing during the two hours earlier. He also would lacth, suck for a little while and then cry. Generally he would either cry or fall asleep. To me I would think he was done or just didn't want it anymore, but he still acted hungry. I fed him from the bottle next and he didn't cry but ate quickly and finnished it off. We guessed that he would be getting mad because he wasn't getting the amount of milk he wanted per suck. So we thought that if I up my milk supply, than he'll be more active and drink more. So this is my goal for this week. I am to pump for longer periods of time and at a higher pressure and even try using lactation enhancers, like herbs and teas. Once that happens, then hopefully breastfeeding won't be a struggle. Then the week after that I plan on winning him from the bottle. So...soon I hope he will exclusively be breastfeeding. I see the light at the end of that tunnel! I feel like, those I must sacrifce a little more sleep and the house can be dirty, Valin and I will succeed. Wich us luck! and keep us in your prayer.

3 comments:

The Short Family said...

You are such a good mom. Jack had issues with his suck too. I gave up on nursing and just pumped and put it in a bottle. I am so impressed with your dedication. Good luck!

Are You Serious! said...

♥ GOod for you sticking it out! That's not easy to do when things are frustrating! :)

Beck said...

I had the same problem, but don't worry, it gets better and easier. The lactation consultant told me to try Fenugreek, an herb, 1200 mg 3 times daily for 7-10 days. It really works! And it makes you smell like maple syrup... who knows why. I also had to strap a syringe to make Leo eat, and eventually, the two combined worked. Hang in there! It's so worth it!