Sunday, March 29, 2009

I've made a decision

Last Tuesday, we tried to wean Valin off his bottle, cold turkey. He nursed like normal at first and fell asleep (like normal) so we let him sleep and hope that he took enough to last him an hour before he was hungry again. After about 25 minutes he was awake again and we nursed. After a moment, he started to cry and pull off. I would try to latch him again but he would continue to cry, harder by each try. He was crying for his bottle. My milk supply was up and I was compressing it into his mouth, so the flow wasn't what dissatisfied him. He continued to cry, since we refused to give him his bottle, for the next 3-ish hours until I buckled and finally gave it to him. The next few feedings, even getting into the position to nurse, he would cry hard.
After that Patxi and I re-grouped and thought that a gradual weaning might work; give him the bottle every-other feeding and them gradually change to every-third, forth and then stop completely. The next day we tried that and twice he would nurse, and then fall asleep. We prayed that he would get enough milk to sleep for and hour before he was hungry again. We would than nurse him and feed him his bottle. But the other 6 feeding that day he would nurse and then cry for his bottle after a few minutes. I would of course try to calm him and nurse but he wouldn't have it.
This is the pattern that we've continued. I deliberated for the next three days wondering what I should do. I prayed a lot, knowing that I knew so little of what would work and what was best for Valin. I would have three options: continue the way we were (spending an hour and a half feeding him every three hours, seeking a goal of exclusively nursing which now didn't seem likable), just feeding him a bottle of milk I've pumped (which isn't the most convenient -just knocking 30-45 minutes off the feeding time- but he would still get my milk -the best for him) or bottle feed him formula (which isn't the best for him but not bad). Patxi and I decided that formula wasn't something we wanted to feed him and I was willing to nurse, but Valin wasn't really up to it. So that meant that I would only bottle feed him pumped milk and let go of my desire to nurse (until our next child comes and will try agian of course). I felt a huge release once I decided. Suddenly all the stress of struggling to nurse left me. At church today I smiled so much, I felt so good.
I hope that this option will work until I wean him with soild food. And I also hope that the WIC pump I have I'll be able to have on loan until then as well. I'm grateful to finally make tha decision and let go of the stress.

4 comments:

Brittney said...

sorry it's not working. Good luck pumping. If you have an electric one it shouldn't be so bad. and just so you know formula really isn't bad for babies. it has the same stuff in it but smells gross :P

Mrs. Romriell said...

Good for you Jess!! We know that you and Paxti are such awesome parents! And that when you feel this good after a choice-it is normally the right one! Sure love ya and see you in two weeks!

PBJKLI Ussery said...

Totally agree with Brittney! We've already talked about it... you have to do what is going to work for YOU and VALIN. I found that it was better to have a healthy baby and an un-stressed mom... the milk you produce is "natural" and good for your baby IF you are healthy, etc. etc. etc. Giving it to him in a bottle isn't bad, especially if it means he's eating more and is happy and healthy. And like Brittney said, even if for some reason you had to switch to formula, it's NOT bad. They have it down to a science now. However, you have probably heard from bazillions of people what an awful mommy you would be... NOT TRUE. Do what's best for YOU and YOUR BABY! You are an awesome Mom, Jess! I'm so proud of you! Keep up the good work and give Valin a hug from us.

Kylee said...

I had a really hard time nursing Greg. He wasn't a good latcher at all. I pumped because I was in school full-time. You have to do what is best for you, which it sounds like you are doing. He is still getting your milk and that is what matters.