Monday, August 2, 2010

The stomach flu, bladder infection, and "You're like a two"

To begin the story correctly, I have to start with Saturday night.  Patxi, Valin, and I ate at a local diner to mix things up a bit.  But later that night Patxi started to feel sick, which was strange because he never does.  But I thought that it might have been the prime rib he ate that night and prayed that a good-night's rest would set him right.  Well, 8:30 comes around Sunday morning (church is at 9:00) and he is still in bed stating that he still feels sick to his stomach.  So I quickly get Valin ready and off to church we go, hands full with my 18 month old and my primary things because I was teaching a new song that day.  Then halfway through sacrament meeting, I started to feel a little queasy.  Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew I was going to get sick.  So I said a little prayer that I'd get through Singing Time.  Miraculously, I didn't feel sick while I was teaching, in between those times, yes I did, but not during.  I was totally blessed.  I pretty much raced home and got Valin some lunch, just in time for me to re-encounter my breakfast in the bathroom toilet.

Well, of course after that I felt better and knew that I should at least try to eat something, for the baby's sake.  It didn't take long for the few pretzels and nectarine I ate to rebel being in my stomach and escape through my mouth.  The only good news was the fact that I was getting contractions, even though the thought of going into labor was the farthest from my mind at that point.  I did occur to me that this might be how Heavenly Father was going to help me progress to a 2 of a 3 cm.  Interesting how he works, isn't it.  Anyway, my next goal was to keep from getting dehydrated, so I sipped as much water as I thought was safe.  At 5:00 that evening, I threw that up too.  Man, I couldn't even keep water down.  However, I was determined to stay hydrated, so I tried eating saltines and chewing on ice next.  It worked.  Plus Nicki, my sister-in-law, offered to go to the store and buy me some 7up to help settle my stomach.  Since the "ox was in the Myer" I said, "heck yes!" It totally worked.  I still had stomach cramps and contractions, but at least I wasn't throwing up anymore.

So today I woke up hoping, praying, and worried about my doctor's appointment.  This was the one that would determined if I progressed enough for him to safely inducement me on the 4th or if we would keep the 11th.  Well, I woke up to a bladder infection brought on from the severe lack of liquids of the day before.  I usually throw back 96 oz of water a day and yesterday I was lucky if I keep down 16.  So, I was not feeling good at all as I walk into the doctor's office.  He did inform me that I had progressed to a 2, which was good news.  But, since I was feeling so sick (and Patxi too), he decided to stick with the 11th so I had time to get over this flu and infection before I would have to tax my body with labor.  Though I was some what disappointed, he was right, I didn't feel like going into to labor, especially since Patxi felt so crummy too.  But I was a 2, and that means when we do feel better and will try things that give contractions, I am more likely to progress into labor.  So, I'm not distrot, I just have a strong hope that I'll go on my own this week ,as soon as we feel better.

So, that's it for this crazy -long story.  Hope you enjoyed this novel of an update.  Hopefully the next post I'll do is of our daugther's birth!            

3 comments:

Joseph and Ivy Waite said...

Hope you guys get feeling better soon! I can't wait to see your next post!

The Laws said...

Hey friend! What's your email so I can send you an invite to the blog?

PBJKLI Ussery said...

Oh! Man!! What a bummer?! Get well soon and good luck with having that beee-autiful baby! We love you!