Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Potty Training adventures

So here I am, sitting on a couch cushion outside of Valin's bedroom while he naps.  It's day one on our potty training adventure and all is going well.  I changed him into his underwear and showed him his special "McQueen"toilet that I was bragging about for a few days now.  He was way excited about it, especially when he pushed down the handle and a revving engine sounded.

The first two releases never made it to the toilet, but the next two started in the underwear but finished in the toilet! I was excited about the progress.  Then, while we were having lunch I was marching back to the table while Valin followed me and he totally made the connection between feeling the need to go and then going to the bathroom because he asked to go to the bathroom!  He only went a little bit in his underwear, which showed that he realized the need to hold it until he gets to the toilet.  I was so impressed, shocked, and so happy.  Then the next time, he was playing so, he released first in his underwear and got the rest on the toilet.  I know that it's going to be tough for Valin to make the potty connection while playing.  Valin has always been blindly focused on playing and has a hard time doing anything else.  But then he went a few times on the toilet as we got ready for his nap.  While I was in there wanting for him to go, he asked me to say "Vroom, vroom" while he pushed down the lever to sound the engine and whenever I did he would then release in his toilet.  I guess "Vroom, Vroom" are his magic peeing words.

So now I'm here, sitting at his bedroom door, listening for any movement to indicate that he needs to go to the bathroom so I can help him realized it's okay to wake up and go.  I'm a little worried because he is a pretty hard sleeper.  But I guess we'll see what happens when he gets up.

Wish us luck! and please keep us in your prayers.

No comments: