Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bloody Glucose!

So, it's the time in the pregnancy where a glucose blood test is required to see if I have genstational diabetes. To prep for the test, I was asked not to eat carbs or high sugar. So yesterday I had cheesy eggs, yogurt, and a banana. For lunch, I was racking my brain for what to eat because I would have to wait until I got off work at 4:30 to take the test. Anyway, I end up eating two apples, peanut butter and half a can of green beans. Weird, I know! So I get to the Labratory and it turns out that I was five minutes too late and couldn't do it that day. I eat like that for nothing! Ugh! Then I talk with my assiant manager and we decide that I take and early "lunch" (even though I can't eat during the hour glucose test) at 10 just so I can be there when the Lab is open.

So today, I ate my cheesy eggs and a banana and left work at 10:00. When I get there, I'm asked all the usual questions, address, emergency contact, were I work, and while I force down the flat sprite syrup stuff, one of the nurses tells me about her fincal problems with MaPs Credit Union. It was a little akward, but I tired to tell her everything will be okay, even though I didn't know anything about the situtation. After that I wait an hour, did some homework. So I get back in for them to take my blood and the nurse can't seem to find my vain. She gives it the "ol' college try" without success. Then the other nurse, the one with a problem with MaPs, comes to her aid. She tires on the other arm and barely gets enough. then she looks at my sheets and see that I need one more sample. Ugh! So she, on the same arm, tries a little more senitive area and luckily gets enough blood, but it hurt! I am totally going to bruise. Then I walk into work looking like a herion adict and stuffing my face with my lunch so I can quickly get back to work. What a crazy day!

2 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♥ So not fun!!! Big cities!!! :)

Kylee said...

I remember drinking that sugar drink. It wasn't fun. My veins are hard to find too! When I was in labor, they didn't get my i.v. in until the last minute. They tried three times. Hope everything is going well!