Friday, February 5, 2010

"Hogan's Heroes" and "Love and Liquids"

I have a little time because Valin's asleep and I'm waiting for my bread to raise.
Speaking of bread, the last time I tried making french from my Betty Crocker recipe, it was a disaster! It called for the bread to raise three times and it only did it once. I cooked it anyway and it was terribly dense and very crunchy (I sprayed five different times) So today, not wanting to be a quiter, Peni (Patxi's mom) and I tackled the recipe agian. We totally changed it and so far it's working. Plus, she has a Bosch. It was like making bread on a whole different planet. I loved it. So much easier! I swear we skipped over 4 steps in my recipe. It was awesome. Now, I guess I can't say how wonderful it is because we haven't eaten them yet, but I can smell them, and I have faith that everything will go wonderfully.

Living with Patxi's parents is going great. We live in a separate part of the house so we still have our won privacy, but I still have wonderful company. That's something I didn't realized I missed when we were in Salem. I love being home in the morning and having people home in the afternoon. I absolutly love the company. Plus, they have all seasons to "Hogan's Heroes" an old comedy TV show about a POW camp in Germany. Patxi and I are totally addicted to it. They also have and exercise mechine that they let me use, which it totally convinant.

the only sad thing is that I've just got everyone sick. I thought I got it from Valin, but whoever I got it from, everyone has terrible shore throats and stuffed up sinuses. I guess it'a just that season. But yesterday night, after Valin woke himself up from coughing, I decided that I needed to do something to make it easier for him. we've been praying to know how we should help Valin and I just couldn't get back to sleep. So I did what years of schooling trained my to do, I went to the internet to research. Let me share some of the information I found, you might not have known, I certianly didn't. Since the early fall of 2007, the FDA deemed that children under 2 years of age should not take cover-the-counter cold and flu medicne. They plainly don't work and could be dangerous. Fever control medicine should still be used, but when asked what should be used to help children with their cold, they said, "Love and liquids." I also found out that the testing of children for children's medicine is almost non-exisited, so they don't even have the proof to say that it works. The motivation for the FDA to investigate was the fact that the medicine companies took their infant medicine off the shoves themselves.

So, now that I couldn't give him some relief through medicine, what was I going to do? Shelbey gave me a hint a few days earlier and it was a suggestion giving by a few Dr. articles I read: a humidifier. It made me remember when I was young and I realized that the humidifier my mom used for me totally helped me not cough. So the first thing in the morning I did was go into town to buy one. I also read articles saying that I could get rid of Valin's runny nose, so I was totally stoked. Then I spent over 40 minutes reading labels, trying to decided which one to buy. I got a warm mist Vick one that didn't need a filter and could, but didn't have to, work with Vicks vapor stuff. I had it on during his two naps, but he still was coughing. So I asked Shelbey and she said I need to get a cool mist one instead. So I returned it and got what I needed. And guess what, Valin slept through the night and didn't even cough. I was so happy!!!

He still has a runny nose and cough, but you can tell that a good night's sleep totally helped him.

1 comment:

Denise Wheeler said...

Thank goodness for humidifiers! But as soon as I read that you bought a warm mist humidifier, I thought Oh, no it needs to been a cool mist. Thank goodness for Shelbey. That's the kind of humidifier I use in your and your sisters rooms. If you were really bad I use to have it also in the room where you were playing.You must remember to rinse it out daily and wash it often, or it will get slimey and make Valin more sick. Can't wait to see you on Sunday!