Friday, June 20, 2008

The grossest thing ever!

So Tuesday I rolled into our Salem apartment around 7:30 pm, and what followed turned my day into the worst day I've ever experienced. And don't think that I'm exaggerating either. So I opened the door to our apartment and almost fell back when the smell hit me. (Just so everyone knows, the kitchen is right inside and to the right of the front door) So I quickly set my stuff down and realized that we must have left something out when we moved all of our stuff down 8 days before. I first found the corned beef that was left on the counter and quickly took it out side to the garbage. But the stench was just as potent when I returned. Then I looked up on top if the refrigerator to find a whole chicken and a bag of chicken breast moldering there. I tried not to hyperventilate, throw-up, or breathe in the foul-odor. I quickly grabbed the handles of the grocery bag that contained the chicken breast and quickly dropped it when I saw that it was ossy. Then I saw something that almost made me run for the toilet, maggots were crawling all over the bag of chicken breast.
Well, I quickly disposed of the Chicken I looked to see what damage was made with my Lycol Bleach in hand. The worst part was that I had to use Kleenex because I had couldn't find my paper towels or anything else that would get the job done better. I saw that the meat had spoiled and ran down the back and side of the refrigerator and into the cracks of the doors. I started to get really frustrated when I realized that everything that was left in our apartment now smelt too; every blanket, carpets, and even the couches.
After a while of hysterical cleaning, I realized that Patxi's fish were still in the hot car. So I quickly got their tank stuff, put it together, and brought that fish inside. To my dismay, both of the catfish had died. This just sent me over the edge. I started to sob. I was so frustrated that our home smelt that way it did, and the more work I had to do to get the house livable, how I could never eat chicken again, how I was alone in a new city, and now how I killed Patxi's fish. Oh, it was one of the worst days every.
Of course I called Patxi and balled during the entire message I left him. He quickly called me back and obviously couldn't understand what I said becuase he thought that I had had a car wreck or something more dire-need. I felt a little shame for my reaction, but concluded that he couldn't understand how horrible it was.
It's Friday now and things are better. I bought carpet deodorizer and two air fresheners for each room. I was able to use the deodorizer on the couches and am very glad about that, they smell great. My only fear is that I'm just getting use to the smell nad when Patxi get here, it'll actually still be here. I just hope that with time, the smell will go a way, indefinitely.

2 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♡ That is horrible!!! I'm so sorry!!! And to have to use kleenexes!!! We had one of the kids pull out a bag of chicken breasts and it was out for 2 days before we knew. Luckily not maggots but the nastiest smell EVER!!! I'm so glad your the next day got better!!!

Brittney said...

I'm sorry Jess! I wish I could have been there to clean it for you :( How are you doing...I need to just call you babe :)